Tuesday, June 8, 2010

May 14 - 16, 2010 - Knolls

Since we finally got a break in the weather (been cold and raining a lot), we decided to load up the trailer and quads and head someplace warmer and not on I-15 southbound (construction). So, we went WEST!!!! We went out towards Wendover to Knolls for the weekend with Cameron and his family.

Saturday was beautiful and we road all day. I hadn't been there before but, everyone else had. The boys and Brent have been out there a few times and have talked and talked about it. We headed out to the dunes in the morning and had a ball. I wasn't very sure about it all at first, but the sand was great! Sammy road with her mom and Eric road with Cameron. It was fun to watch them. Erica isn't too afraid of anything and she loves to ride a bit more than her sister. But, Sammy goes along with it and doesn't complain. Besides, there are the "potty" stops and the girl's like to take advantage of that and played in the sand while we road around them. When we got back, Mushu needed a ride, so I obliged.
We had lunch and then went back out. We road over the dunes to the flats and it felt like we rode forever. Found this fun little puddle way out there and played for a while. Then headed back to camp, in a round-about-way. We road back toward I-80 and then turned back toward the mountains where everyone camps.

ReyAn and I went one way around a mound of dunes and Cameron and Brent went the other. I thought we where riding into camp until we got closer and I realized that we weren't at our camp. Then I saw Brent hauling behind a hill and went around to meet him. When I got around, I saw Cameron standing, Erica running around and Brent's machine.....empty. Someone was one the ground....my heart stopped. As I got closer, I could see Brent bent down as well.
Cameron had riden around the hill and saw this guy crash. He took off and Brent went after him. That's when I saw Brent. Anyway, this guy had crashed pretty bad. He was bleeding down his right arm from his right shoulder that had a compound fracture. His left wrist was broken and that's just what we could see. Fortunately he had a helmet on. His girlfriend was a little freaked out and in shock. Cameron was trying to hold the man's arm to keep it from moving and was also on his phone with 911. Brent was trying to calm down the girlfriend and look for something to wrap the man with. ReyAn was trying to keep the girl's from their natural curiousity of wanting to see what was going on. The injuries were pretty severe. I took off over to a camp to see if there was anyone there who could help, EMT, doctor, nurse, etc. I found a man and his daughter that were from Tooele oounty Search & Rescue there and took them over where Brent and Cameron were. Then I rode down to I-80 and waited for the emergency vehicles to show them where we were. (There is no way to give directions out there.) It took about 30 minutes before the first police car came from Wendover. They told me that they would go on up the road to meet the Tooele County guy and for me to wait for the ambulance and firemen. They trickled in for another hour before the ambulance (who was last) got there and I took them up. I was really worried about this guy, he was in bad shape when I had left. A few minutes after the rescue guys got there, they called for LifeFlight. They couldn't do anything more with his arm than Cameron and Brent had done. Brent even found a piece of cardboard to use as a wrist splint in his quad. It was all pretty exciting and the whole time, Cameron never left his side. It happened about 3:15 pm and we headed back to camp at 7:10 pm. Long day. Cameron couldn't believe that he hadn't thrown up! (LOL) We were all pretty proud of him, the calm that he had with the guy and the way he and his Dad had taken care of things.
We went back to camp, had dinner, relaxed, tried to play Cattan (too tired to remember the rules). Cameron's dog Scout even took Mushu for a walk. The next day, Cameron called IHC in Murray and found out that he was doing pretty well. It was a good thing that we headed back to the wrong hill and not the one we were camped at. No one would have seen him for a long time. Being a good samaritan is a great feeling! Love you, Cam!! Great job guys!!

1 comment:

Swain Family said...

I didn't realize you had pictures! The whole thing is just crazy! But he was really lucky you guys were around! Geeze! ...The picture of the dogs made me laugh! :)